Friday, June 17, 2011

All Things Bright and Beautiful... is beautiful!


Hello.

Yet again, I convict myself of being a bad blog owner. I mean, what kind of monster am I to neglect a poor, innocent blog such as this one?

But seriously, I need to make a habit of NOT neglecting this. So... Yeah. I'll try. Hard.

Anyway... What have I been up to, anyway? Well, as of this past week, LISTENING TO THE NEW OWL CITY ALBUM. Duh. It's amazing and, well, beautiful. Let's go track-by-track, shall we?


 
1. The Real World
I think this fun song is simply about daydreaming. The best line in it is, "Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there." I think it's a good song, overall.

2. Deer in the Headlights
If you listen to any of Adam Young's commentaries on this album, he thinks of this song as "the pressures of being a perfect guy." I see this as a playful track about a guy who's just trying to experience the feeling of love so common and normal in this world (to no avail, which makes it a funny song!)

3. Angels
This track is one of my favorites. I love how Adam took kind of a risk, as this song isn't like his usual type. On this track, Adam explores the possibility of somebody seeing an angel, and how amazing that would feel. I personally like the spiritual message conveyed in this song, like a few others on the album.

4. Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
This song is simply about not letting go of your dreams, no matter what people tell you. Adam stages himself with all these different daydreams, and somebody indirectly tells him to basically grow out of it. However, Adam sticks to his daydreams and wishes his listeners to do the same.

5. Honey and the Bee
This (literally) sweet love song, featuring Breann Duren, presents a guy and a girl telling each other how much they love each other. A song of cute comparisons, it's another of my personal favorites.

6. Kamikaze
At first, the listener may think this track is on the wrong album. Not to fear, it's correctly placed. Adam himself admits it's a bit of a "sore thumb on the new record," but to be loved anyway. The unique style is definitely different for Owl City, but the lyrics and message is the same - playful lyrics telling the listener to stick to imagination and love. 

7. January 28, 1986
This short track, featuring a news clip, is a bit of a prelude to the next song on the track, Galaxies. The clip is about the tragic story of the space shuttle Challenger, that so many remember.

8. Galaxies
This song first strikes me as majestic and important. Adam says this song is in the mindset of what the Challenger passengers may have been thinking. I personally love, again, the spiritual setting of this track, in the form of a prayer of sorts to God for help, and thanks for being there no matter what. This might be the best song on the album, in my opinion. 

9. Hospital Flowers
This sad song is about someone who was in a terrible accident. With seemingly no hope, Owl City "sneakily" uses the flowers brought in sympathy in the most unrealistic manner possible, of course, to bring them to life and teach the person to see the bright side and be thankful they're still alive. Though slow and kind of sad, this is a touching and relate-able song about finding hope in despair.

10. Alligator Sky (featuring Shawn Chrystopher)
Adam explains the unique title of the track as "two words you would never think to put together." Like Kamikaze, this song is unique for Owl City. Featuring Shawn Chrystopher rapping many parts of the song, I like this song's different-ness and how easy it is to sing along to.

11. The Yacht Club
This playful song is about experiencing love, just for the sake of being in love. A cute, fun song, this is a good "dancey" (according to Adam) song.

12. Plant Life
Giving the thought of being trapped in a haunted house, wishing for something bright and happy - like flowers - to appear, Adam tells the reader that everyone needs to be happy at least once in a while. As the song says, happiness could be you saying "I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest, the trees keep the tempo and they sway in time. A quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus..." I think this is a good song to end the album on, as it gives hope to a unique kind of happiness only Owl City's music can bring.

So, yeah. That's been my past week: Those twelve songs, over and over and over and over. Oh, and cleaning my room, but I wasn't really paying much attention to that ;)

I sincerely hope you get a chance to listen to the songs yourself.

~Cupcake :)

Ps. I am pretty much obsessed with the album, and that's why the background has been changed to match ;) Plus, it looks cool!! Haha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Post here!